The Lotus Team
Languages + Travel + Sharing = What We Love
Our programs are led by "ex-expats". These global citizens have all traveled extensively and either lived, studied, and/or worked in the country of the program they work with. The program leaders teach beginner language skills and facilitate cultural discussions based on their knowledge and experience of the country of focus. Upon the Scholars' successful completion of the program, leaders will travel with their cohort to the country of focus.
Program & Curriculum Director
Geena is a curriculum consultant with experience in local and international non-profit programming. Her love of international travel developed in high school and she has traveled to 6 countries and 3 continents since, with plans for much more in the future. Geena lived as an expat in Beijing, China where she worked as a Curriculum Developer and Education Consultant while developing her Mandarin language skills. Geena has earned an Bachelor's degrees in both Psychology and Asian Studies and formally studied Chinese for 4 years at the collegiate level.
- Favorite Lotus Quote: "A pristine waterlily undiscouraged by its surroundings … as it flowers and blooms brilliantly… despite and probably because of its origins." ~Jacquelene Close Moore
- Lived in: Beijing, China
- Education: Furman University B.S.
Tyree is an IT professional by trade, but has not shied away from his passion for language and travel. Using initiative, technology, and native speakers... he is conversationally fluent in Mandarin and Spanish and can read and write about 1,500 Chinese characters. His expat experience came through teaching at the Shanghai Finance University. A few years later, he would be instrumental in the startup of two China-based study abroad programs between Johns Hopkins University and Nanjing University. The Lotus Scholars Program stems from his dedication to sharing the experience of language learning and international travel with others.
- Quote: "Whenever you should doubt your self-worth, remember the lotus flower. Even though it plunges to life from beneath the mud, it does not allow the dirt that surrounds it to affect its growth or beauty." ~Suzy Kassem
- Lived in: Shanghai, China
- Education: Towson University, B.S. Electronic Business
- Most memorable experience abroad: Using my newly minted Chinese skills to change plans mid-ride on a motorcycle taxi with 3 total people to end up at a floating restaurant on a bay near Sanya, China. This evening was the "AHA" moment when I knew I could survive using Chinese on my own.
- Travel Advice: No matter where you go, spend time with locals whom you have something in common with.